Written by Miriam Jacobson – the Food Coach Nutrition Associate
January is a perfect time for reflection and renewal. Instead of dwelling on what happened in 2014, release it to create space for healing and regeneration. This hearty soup is a perfect (and warm) jumpstart to your year!
This week’s recipe is from our friends at Splendid Spoon. Though the length of the ingredients list may look long, it is actually quite simple and easy to make. But, if it is too cold to trek out for the ingredients or you just don’t feel like cooking, Splendid Spoon does deliver. The sweet potato and carrots contain vitamin A to boost your immune system and bring color to the skin during our sunless winter months. The garlic and onions contain sulfur that boosts glutathione, the body’s most abundant antioxidant to battle oxidative stress, meaning a younger and more vibrant you! Happy spooning!
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss celery root, sweet potato and carrots with coconut oil and roast, tossing halfway through, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork
2. Sweat onion and garlic in olive oil in medium-sized pot until tender and translucent
3. Stir in thyme, salt, curry powder and pepper, cook for 2-3 minutes
4. Add roasted vegetables
5. Stir in vegetable stock and bring to a simmer, cook 5 minutes longer
6. Add spinach, cover, and turn off heat
7. Ladle into warm bowls, drizzle with olive oil and spoon slowly to savor every morsel!
Miriam is also available for consultation.